Internet of Things (IoT)
The Internet of Things refers to the billions of physical devices around the world that are connected over Internet to share data.
Examples– Security Systems, Apple watch, Automated factory equipments, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, video doorbells, and many such automated appliances.
How Internet of Things works?
IoT system consists of smart devices that use embedded systems such as, processors, sensors and hardware, to collect, send and act on data they acquire.
IoT devices share the data they collect by connecting to an IoT gateway, where data is being analyzed.
These are automated devices which don’t require human intervention. The networking depends on the specific IoT applications deployed.
IoT make uses of Artificial Intelligence and machine learning to aid in collecting and organising data.
Why Internet of Things is important?
• The IoT helps people to live and work smarter, by connecting with devices over the world.
• In businesses, IoT helps in providing real time insights of various business activities from delivering insights to supply chain to logistics management. This also leads to reduce manpower and labour costs.
• IoT helps to cut down on waste and improves service delivery, by offering transparency to customers and distributors.
Why to use IoT in an organisation?
• IoT helps to improve the customer experience.
• It helps in saving time and money.
• It helps to make better decisions.
• IoT helps in generating more revenue.
• Better organising of data.